Weebly has over 40 million users designing websites with the platform and has grown since its launch in 2008. Today, Weebly remains a user-friendly, drag-and-drop website builder focused on simplicity. Its competitive pricing and functional tools make it an easy way to start your online business.
Weebly Design Features
Weebly uses an interactive quiz to help you find templates for your site. Unfortunately, a lot of these themes aren’t as show-stopping as sites like Squarespace or Wix. The themes are still nice enough to look like a professional website. Weebly only has around 50 themes (Wix has over 500); and they are categorized into the type of website you’re building, like an online store or portfolio. These designs are responsive to mobile as well.
Like popular website builder Wix, Weebly also uses the easy drag-and-drop method. The interface is extremely simple. You can add the following elements to a page:
- Contact Forms
- Newsletter Forms
- Embed code
This simplicity is equally dated. The builder, while straightforward, feels clunky and heavy compared to other website builders. The dark gray color and small icons are reminiscent of an Adobe design program, which rivals the easy-to-use mentality. If the look of your website’s backend matters to you, Weebly might not be the best tool for you.
Weebly E-commerce Features
Weebly’s e-commerce sites compete with the other website builders on the market. Weebly’s e-commerce website builder has the following features:
- Create stand-alone product pages
- Create products with variations
- Share the product on social.
- Design a storefront page
- Design category pages to organize your products
When designing an e-commerce site, the different Weebly pricing plans become critical. The differences between the plans could make or break your budget and working with Weebly.
- Integrated Shopping Cart: When paying for the Starter or Pro plans, your checkout process isn’t under your URL, yourdomain.com/checkout. It’s instead under youraccount.checkout.weebly.com. The Weebly attribution in the URL can scare away shoppers from trusting your website. To get an integrated shopping cart, you’ll need a Business or Performance Plan.
- SSL Certificate: In order to sell products online under your own domain, you need an SSL certificate, which costs $70+ a year. With a Business or Performance Plan, the SSL certificate is included.
- Sales Fees: In the Starter and Pro plans, you’re charged additional sales fees by Weebly. These are waved in higher plans.
- Digital Goods: You can begin to sell digital goods like audiobooks or an e-book when you’re on the Business plan.
- Abandoned Cart Email Engine & More: When you pay for the Performance plan, you’ll get access to a lot of competitive features like abandoned cart emails, real-time shipping calculation, and gift cards.
Weebly offers inventory management for desktop and mobile.
- Add new products
- Edit existing products
- Create gift cards and promotions
- Manage customer reviews
- Add products via a CSV Excel file
- Transfer products from Shopify or Etsy
- Edit website design
- Manage the website inventory
- View insights for web store
Neither inventory management option sends notifications for out of stock items.
Weebly offers multiple payment channel options during checkout.
- Credit cards via Stripe
Shopify offers over 70 different options and Wix offers 17. Here are payment channels you would be missing out on from Wix:
- Fat Zebra
- Leumi Card
- PayU Turkey
- PayU India
- Manual Payments by currency
If international sales are not a priority or you are only focusing on national sales, Weebly’s limited payment options might still work for your website.
Weebly SEO and Marketing Features
Weebly has above average search engine optimization with customizable options like title tags, URLs, and meta-descriptions.
Weebly also comes with a 301 Redirect feature, where you can preserve old URLs from your previous site and redirect them to your new ones.
Weebly provides information on the support page for how to connect your site to Google Analytics and SEO tips, but the work still needs to be done manually.
Weebly provides an email marketing platform but in order to send out mass emails, you’ll need the Performance Plan. However, you can test out their services. Weebly lets you send two emails with up to 500 recipients each during the free trial.
However, when you send confirmation emails about orders, you can’t add your store logo. You can add a custom message to the header and footer.
Weebly Backend Features: Analytics and Security
SSL encryption is included with your Weebly site, however, the aforementioned integrated shopping cart relies on an SSL secure checkout. The SSL security is necessary for integrated checkout and customers may be wary of a checkout through Weebly.
Weebly connects to Google Analytics to help you understand shopper behavior.
Weebly Customer Support
Weebly offers articles and person-to-person support for any troubleshooting you need. Weebly offers the following customer service support:
- Support tickets monitored 24/7
- Live chat during business hours
- Phone support during business hours
Weebly E-commerce Pricing
Weebly’s pricing is competitive compared to other drag-and-drop website builders.
Weebly vs. Wix Price Comparisons:
- Weebly Business vs. Wix Unlimited:
- Wix comes with $300 ad credits, while Weebly comes with $100.
- Wix comes with additional apps ($108 value/mo), Weebly does not.
- Wix allows mass email send-outs on this plan, Weebly does not.
- Weebly Performance vs. Wix Business VIP:
- Weebly offers abandoned cart emails, Wix does not.
- During your first year, Wix’s Business VIP plan is $17.50/mo, while Weebly’s Performance plan is $38/mo.
- Overall, the majority of features you get on Weebly Performance are available on lower plans with Wix.
Overall, Weebly’s tools are less advanced than its competitors’. The Weebly e-commerce site and plan are very similar to Wix – just without all of the themes.
- The Weebly Performance plan offers Abandoned Cart Recovery emails, a feature not found on Wix.
- The platform is very easy to use.
- You are able to host a Shopify or Etsy store on the Weebly platform.
- Weebly connects to Google Analytics to understand your consumers.
- Weebly offers a 30-day free trial.
- The features are not as great as its competitors’.
- The backend of the site is not very attractive.
- Weebly does not offer as many plugins.
- Weebly’s costs are a little higher than its closest competitor, Wix.
- There are not as many themes as competing websites.
If you’re looking for a less expensive website that’s easy to use, Weebly might be the best choice for you. However, if your site does end up growing, transferring your store to Shopify might be what’s best for your business. The only way to know if Weebly is right for your business is to take advantage of their 30-day free trial.
— Rachel Auerbach reviewed Weebly on August 9, 2018, Read 1 ecommerce features review.